Friday, December 2, 2016

Clamp for Gluing Rings Together

So far, I have made two segmented bowls. I guess that makes me some kind of an expert. Here are photos of my first two bowls:



I soon became aware that I needed a better way to clamp rings together while gluing them, The answer came to me while wandering the halls of Harbor Freight in the guise of a 




I quickly incorporated this into a box as follows:


A couple of things should be obvious:
  • The top and bottom are made from 3/4" birch plywood. 
  • The sides are made from two pieces of 2x4 - cut into quarters and  notched.
  • The sides are not (yet) screwed into place. Friction combined with the direction as so far made this unnecessary.
  • I pull off one side to place the work piece into the clamp.
  • The metal plate from the clamp is mounted just under the top, so it is not visible. 
  • There are extra notches in the side pieces for gluing some of the first rings before the bowl is high enough to require the notches pictured above. 


No comments:

Post a Comment